Friday, February 4, 2011

Yesterday I went out with my brother and another friend. We were hungry and we didn't know where to go as most shops and restaurants were closed (public holiday). So we decided to go to Geylang, as we were hungry plus we were craving 'Ambuyat', a Bruneian local delicacy and Hjh Maimunah is the closest thing to home-cooked food.

Top, left to right: Lemak Pucuk Ubi, French Beans with Tofu, Ayam Masak Merah, Siput Sedut Masak Lemak Cili Api
Bottom, left to right: Tempeh Sambal, Ayam Bakar Sunda

YUM!!!! (: I was so content and happy that I just couldn't stop smiling after lunch (:
'Lemak Pucuk Ubi'  or Tapioca Shoots in Coconut Gravy is my favourite! (: We usually have this vegetable with ambuyat. So that satisfied my cravings (:

Then we walked around the Malay Village and look what we bumped into in the heart of the Malay Village?

Kuda Kepang
'Kuda Kepang'  performance in progress. So we stopped by and watch the performance. Kuda Kepang is a Javanese traditional horse trance dance. Usually the dance is accompanied by a gamelan ensemble. I only saw this dance live once during Ira's wedding back in 2009. So we were kinda hooked up

When I saw this performance, I didn't really understand what the story does the dance telling, so I did a little bit of research (: Apparently, it is a re-enactment of the tale of 9 Muslim evangelists who rode on horseback and also dramatization of the stories of the battles waged and won for the cause of Islam..The dance was pretty mystical and mysterious. I like the sound the gamelan makes.


They say, when the dancers perform this Kuda Kepang dance, they will go into trance, not able to remember what happened during the dance and not able to feel pain. Mysterious..Don't you think so?
Dancer being whipped!

No comments:

Post a Comment