Monday, September 13, 2010

What Home Economics Means To Me



Someone once told me that people who are lazy and unmotivated to study should take home economics, learn how to cook and sew and be a good housewife.



Ever since then, my perspective of home economics has been nothing but negative. Not until in 2007, when I was offered the Diploma in Consumer Science and Technology in Temasek Polytechnic. My view has changed and I realized that home economics is indeed more than just cooking and sewing.

People often ask me, "do you know how to cook now?". Well let me share with you, home economics is not just about cooking up dishes from recipe books. It is definitely more than that. In this subject, we learn the chemistry of food as well as the biological aspects of food. We learn about quality control and assurance, safe food handling, science of baking, family and resource management as well as channeling creativity through sewing. Home economics is certainly a very interesting subject that can be applied to our everyday life routine.
This is a good read, to help you understand about home economics better:

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/aug/26/food/la-fo-homeec-20100826

So go ahead! Give home economics a try. Don't be afraid of cooking and sewing. You'll be surprise of what this subject has in store for you (:

No comments:

Post a Comment